With a full potential to widen the breadth of one’s mind, learning languages amplifies the scope through which one views versatile cultures, in a bid to enable one to comprehensively absorb and learn. Arabic is the lingua franca of all Arab countries in the Middle East. Originally, it has been sweepingly present in the Middle East from North Africa to Arab Peninsula. It has been even sweeping before the rise of Islam.
Along with Hebrew, Aramaic, Kurdish, Amharic, and Berber (spoken in North Africa), Arabic is defined as a Semitic language. However, it stood the test of time and never diminished like other sister languages that dominated the Middle East at one point. As an Afro-Asian language, it garnered 420 million, including 290 million native speakers. The cruciality of Arabic was lifted by Arab countries’ influence and contribution to the precarious political atmosphere and powerhouse economy led by the Middle East as well as the mysterious Arab and Islamic mind-set that is not fully comprehended in the world urge westerns to learn Arabic to gain much information about the Middle East, its culture and its sweeping religion.
1- Arabic is the official language of 22 countries
Language enthusiasts tend to learn common spoken languages and languages of domineering and influential countries. That is the reason behind the rise of English and French and the fall out of tribal languages. Ranked as the fifth most common language, Arabic is the official language of around 22 countries. Moreover, it is one of five official languages of the United Nations, the Arab League, the Organization of Islamic Conference, and the African Union. Arabic has attained such contrivance as it is the official language of Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Egypt and Morocco, which are a few of many Arab Countries, which contributed to changing the route of politics, economy, oil trade and media worldwide.
2- It is a way to outshine
Apparently, rarely do westerns tend to learn Arabic, for its relatively different nature from languages of Latin origin. However, holding one’s grip on such language and exotic culture would open many doors of unseized opportunities. As Arab countries domineering various fields in economy and politics, learning Arabic makes one outshine among the crowd as he/she can land a job pertaining to journalism, international affair, translation, interpretation, education, economy, the stock market and oil trade.
3- Powerhouse economy
Moreover, the Arab world has proven that its soil is truly fertile for thriving companies and business. With its growing population and mounting needs, the Arab World is defined as a booming international market for exports. Interestingly, business regulations are being reformed to set the atmosphere for a competitive market in a bid to draw businessmen and entrepreneurs’ business plans and agendas.
4- Getting to know Arabs
Furthermore, according to a poll conducted in 2014, around 32 percent of Americans think well of Arabs. On the other hand, around 68 percent downgrade Arabs and Middle Easterns. Viewing different and foreign cultures through a mature and based-on-knowledge scope widens the breadth of mind and understanding; it renders one open to know more about other people and urges one to respect them and, of course, lessen potential hatred and racism.
5- Arabic helps you understand Quran
Not only is Arabic a pathway to understand the Arabic culture and nature, but also a way to grasp the essence of Islam, which is twisted in some of the western minds. As a matter of fact, The Holy Quran is written in Arabic, thus, learning Arabic enables one to read the verses of the Holy Quran and the doctrine of Prophet Mohamed (Peace Be Upon Him) so one can apply one’s own judgments, which are based on unbiased approach and reliable sources, concerning the doctrine of Islam written in the most reliable source, The Holy Quran.
6- Linguistically Intriguing
Interestingly, there is no tangled knot of confusing Arabic words that will hinder the flow of your understanding. Arabic mainly relies on root system. In other words, verb ‘to write’ means ‘katab’, from which one can deduce that ‘book’ means ‘ketab’, library means ‘maktaba’, ‘writer’ means ‘kateeb’, and ‘desk’ means ‘maktab’.
However, unlike most Latin languages, Arabic relies on diglossia. In every Arab country, there are two dialects: vernacular language variety, which is every day’s language of communication and the High variety, which is Standard Arabic, used in literature, education and media.
Even though Arabic has been defined as relatively difficult Afro-Asian language, it is sweeping the world after the intensifying political atmosphere and powerhouse economy took over the world. Moreover, learning Arabic is one way to discover the mentality of Arabs and to communicate with Muslims in a bid to understand and accept the other.